Sunday, March 12, 2017

Oh boy, oh boy!

Maybe it doesn't sound like much in today's saturated market full of tiny one week builds and game jams, but ever since I was 11 I knew I wanted to make games. It does sound like too much of a solid commitment for a tween to make to himself, but I didn't know back then all the things I'd had to learn to get to here. But now I do.

I'm not talking necessarily about technical and skill-based things. I am talking people.


Loners, extroverts and the mix

As a loner (not derogatory), I've always been extremely selective with the people I chose to interact with. More so with the people I chose to share my ideas, beliefs, fears and desires. These are the people that one can be intimate with, in a peer-to-peer connection sort of way, I mean. Don't have anything against extroverts and the like, by the way. I view this difference in humans more like different wiring - each with it's own pro and con. Different classes, if you will.

I started Don't Tax Me, Bro! in the late summer of 2016 together with a programmer that has since moved on. So I basically went on ahead and moved all the graphics from Unity and made my own thing in Construct 2, which is incredibly artist friendly.



Going solo(ish)

This is the first time ever I took such a drastic decision - doing it all myself (except for the sfx and music, but more on that later). I had been involved in about 6 projects that had all went the way of the Dodo before, but the reasons for not pushing on before seemed to be absent now. The project is not super big in scope. It's not so content heavy that it can't be done by a single guy. It doesn't require knowledge that I don't already posses. I do have the tech required to physically do it. And then another thing hit me even harder - Why did I not start a small project by myself earlier? Like even years earlier.

Because you can only be as good as the people around you allow you to be. In the past 2 years I have moved into the most happy, healthy, positive and stimulating relationship ever with my soon to be wife. I have also ditched some really negative peeps from my life. Also freeing was the newfound ability to actually cut myself some slack here and there because of ditching said peeps.

And after all the good stuff came even more great things in the form of the wonderful people that I have met through sharing my work on Don't Tax Me, Bro!.

First I was approached by a dude who goes by the name of Tony Baboon. He showed me some songs that he made for the game and said I could use them any way I want. Out of the blue. Best yet, he didn't just blew me away with the quality of his stuff, he even understood where I was coming from a style point of view. Shock! He's the SFX and music man now. Then Alex Nechita, a guy I barely knew online came and gave me a truckload of extremely good advice on how to go about things (hope it's not awkward giving a shout out here, man). Then Nicolae "Nick" Berbece, dude responsible for Move or Die, contacted me with extremely great advice and even offered to pitch my game to a publisher. Thank you, man! And then Jeremy Alexander, from Jerementor.com, from which I've learned a ton of stuff got in touch with me. Suffice to say, I'm positively overwhelmed and overjoyed.



Chilling is thrilling

No matter the outcome of the Don't Tax Me, Bro! Steam Greenlight campaign, I have already learned that being true to one's self is so so much more important than learning and perfecting technical skills, and this is priceless information that will stick with me for a good amount of years to come (aka all).

In closing, I know this articles reads more like a Zen booklet on spiritual growth than a developer log, but I find this sort of knowledge very helpful, so I'm trying to share. The introvert part of me is sort of skeptical of this, but skepticism is good.

The game will be out March 30th 2017. It will have another 2 levels and 2 characters to unlock.

PS - I will do a follow-up in the days to come, focusing on the new content.

All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment